Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial day is like the day after Thanksgiving.

Memorial day is the beginning of the best time of the year.  Memorial day is my favorite day of summer just like the day after Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the Christmas season. Christmas Eve is always bittersweet because it signals the end of the festivities--during summer break it's football practice.  Football practice means the schedules and routines and empty house of the school year are on their way back. I love having an entire season of summer to look forward to and that's why I love Memorial Day.

So what's so great about summer?  Why do I love it so? 

I love the simple things the most--waking up to the sound of sprinklers and birds, eating watermelon with lime,  the smell of cut grass and dirt, burned marshmallows, drive-in movies, camping trips...the list goes on.  I especially love to have the kids home.  I function better when I have a clear and well planned purpose and six kids definitely gives me a well planned and busy purpose.  And I work better when I have someone working with me;  six kids means that I always have someone to work with me.


This year we spent Memorial Day at home and I spent most of my days and nights rocking this little one. 
 Jackson has an absolutely terrible case of Hand, foot and mouth disease.  He has had high fever followed by chills and shaking followed by absolute misery.  He cries to be picked up and then cries to be put down then cries to move to the other shoulder or nurse only to fall asleep for a few minutes and wake up squirming and crying again.  Poor baby. His little mouth and throat and hands and legs and feet are covered with blisters.




There is no treatment for Hand, foot and mouth disease.  Just Tylenol or Motrin for comfort and keep the sores clean so they con't get infected.  Actually the pediatrician gave us a prescription for some stronger medicine but thankfully today (day three) he seems to be feeling a little better.  No fever and he ate some food.  Good thing babies heal so quickly!

The kids still have a few more days of school (we don't start in the fall until after labor day) so we are busy with all the end of the year tests and assignments and picnics and then it is summer in full force.  Can't wait!

*Three weeks after the virus finally cleared up, Jackson lost his fingernails and toenails so it looks like Jack had the newer strain of the virus going around (coxsackie A6 instead of coxsackie A16).

3 comments:

Jamie Hatch said...

yikes, where'd he pick that up at? I'm sorry, poor baby.

Valerie and Garrett said...

Hey, I make my blog books with booksmart at blurb.com. It's really easy but time consuming because I opt out of the "auto fill" and put the pages together myself. Let me know if you have any questions...not that I'm an expert by any means, but there are some things I wish i would have known when making the first one. I'd love to help if i can. :) Valpal20@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hey my son had the same thing but I was just wondering if you don't mind me asking and don't mind sharing. But, did he have any bumps and stuff on his buttocks and even around his genitals? My son had them ALL over him and I just want to make sure he wasn't the only one who had them around his private area and butt!! Thanks so much !