Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Growing.

Right now I'm washing my third load of laundry.  Actually I'm washing the same load of laundry for the third time.  Sheesh.  Four times is my record.

Have I mentioned that I have a tendency to be forgetful?

Jackson has grown like a weed lately.  All his clothes are belly shirts.

Speaking of weeds.  I have a plan for the garden.


I spread a good thick layer of grass clippings on the ground around the boxes.  I'm hoping for a complete weed free summer!

The trellis provides a good frame for a tent to cover the veggies when it gets cold at night.

The raised boxes have a mix of compost, vermiculite and peat moss. Ever read about square foot gardening?  It's awesome! The veggies really do grow in just six inches of soil.  This year I put trellises in the beds and I have big plans to grow all the vine plants--tomatoes, pumpkins, butternut squash, beans, peas...up the trellises. We'll see how it goes!


Speaking of tomatoes. I watched a video that explains how to prune tomatoes.  I've never really understood how before. I bought two tomatoes that are both indeterminate (watch the video...)--Early Girl and Lemon Boy.  Yellow tomatoes from the garden are the best thing ever.

And might I mention that the video is made by my uncle.  He really does grow amazing veggies.




I've also been busy planting my container gardens.  I love containers. Flowers make me smile.  I found some new plants this year.  I'll have to put some pictures up one of these days.

In the mean time Jackson has crawled out the dog door. Again.

And he's calling "Mam!" How can I resist that?!


No comments: