Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

The Errand of Angels


Do you ever need to say thank you to someone but know that there really is no way to do it adequately? That is how I feel this morning.

Last Thursday I got one of those phone calls that only a sister can understand. It was pretty much a jumble of incomprehensible sentences that sounded something like "they mixed up all the piles...eight o'clock tomorrow morning, locked in their rooms, I CAN'T DO THIS..."

My sister is moving to Australia. Her husband left about three weeks ago to start work and that has left Juli with five kids and a house to organize for the packers.
Some things need to go to storage, some to Idaho, some on slow boat to Australia and some by air shipment to Australia. And then, the most important things had to be neatly tucked into suitcases meant to hold every item needed for clothing or comfort for the next month or so.

A day spent cleaning and organizing was undone in a matter of minutes by her unsuspecting children. I could completely understand her panic. And I do mean panic.

My mom and I considered jumping in the car to make the ten hour drive to New Mexico to offer what comfort we could. But it would be too late. The comfort was needed immediately. We couldn't get there in time.

That's when I remembered Susan. Months ago when I was visiting New Mexico Susan let me program her cell phone number into my phone just in case I ever needed to get a hold of her for any reason.

So I called her. At 9:30 at night. I explained that the moment of help had arrived. The moment when only a sister will do. Fortunately she understood that the bonds of sisterhood reach beyond blood. Because we share the same lineage. It is unthinkable to let a sister go uncared for.

Juli's doorbell was ringing before we knew it. The kitchen was cleaned, piles were sorted and the kids asleep in their beds.

I can only think of one adequate way to say thanks and that is to return the favor. I have a feeling there are sisters all over the world in need of a sister. I'm sure someone has a sister near me in need and I am determined to be there. No sister should have to carry her burdens alone. We can be there together. I think I finally understand that now.

6 comments:

InkMom said...

You just made me cry.

Ash said...

beautiful message, extremely flattering picture, I'm sure your sisters would love it. Although, I would love it more if my eldest was in it as well

beck said...

ahhhhh, kim. you're a good sister.

VicandNanc said...

Kim, you are such a sweetheart! What more can I say?!

Juli said...

I don't know if you will ever know how much I appreciate what you did for Juli that night. I got an email and knew Juli was spent but there was nothing I could do. Thank you thank you thank you. By the way it is awesome to have us all together again.
Shon

Juli said...

I'm crying. Thank you. You are the best big sister ever. My children thank you too. I honestly thought I could do it all by myself. . .
I love you. I love Susan too - and Annie who came to help.
And where are you in this picture of women in swim suits?!