Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Happy Anniversary!

June 4-10

Happy anniversary to Rustin and Me!
We've been married 22 years.  We ran off to Boise for a quick one night escape.  It is so nice to get away from the regular schedule sometimes.  Austin and the kids do really well without us.  We really are in a great stage of life!!
Last week we were driving in the car and my phone died so one of the kids pulled an {ancient} CD out of the visor above the drivers seat and turned it on.  I probably haven't seen it for more than ten years.  It was a CD that Rustin made for me when we had been married a couple of years and he titled it  "love songs for my love." At the time I thought it was a great little CD with familiar songs that I liked.  I didn't think much of it really. Rustin asked me many times if I liked his CD and I replied with something totally un-romantic like "yeah, sure, it's great! Thanks."  Well this time when that CD started playing I heard it in a different light.  Eighteen years ago I don't think I really knew Rustin.  I don't think I realized then that when Rustin listens to a song, he hears (and remembers) every word. Seriously, every word.  After twenty-two years of marriage  I know that when Rustin made me that CD he did it carefully and intentionally.  The words of those songs, if taken as a literal declaration of love, are amazing and sweet and so thoughtful.  It really touched me to hear them in a completely new light.  I feel like I want to go back to the young thoughtful Rustin and be a little nicer and a little more appreciative.  Thanks honey for being kind and thoughtful back then even if I didn't really appreciate it.  I appreciate it now!

Penny delivered puppies on Thursday of this week.  She had twelve (!!) babies but two were still born.  It was a long drawn out delivery which is exhausting for everyone.  The first stillborn puppy (congenital deformities) really slowed things down and poor Penny had three hours of laboring/waiting for the little one to deliver.  I'm not sure what happened with the second but I'm afraid it may have been too much time in the birth canal, slowed down by the one that was before.  Delivering puppies doesn't always go perfectly.  By the end Penny was so tired her head was bobbing as she fell asleep in between contractions.  She wouldn't lay down and relax (can't blame her...) but she could barely hold her head up!  Once the last puppy was delivered she tucked them all in and they all went to sleep.  I supplemented her with calcium during this delivery because it was so drawn out.  She covered really well and is a super momma.  We have been really blessed with the puppies since the boys left for their missions.  Just as one litter goes home the next litter is born.  We couldn't have asked for better timing.  The Lord knows what we need!



We also added chickens to our chicken coop!  I'm so excited for fresh eggs again!!



No comments: