Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

To sleep or not to sleep...the plan.



 Here's the plan.  My own version of the Ferber method.

First--limit daytime naps to two times per day: 9 or 9:30 and 1 or 1:30.  It will be hard to keep him up until that 1 pm time but I think it will help with evening.  For now I am going to nurse him and let him sleep in my bed for nap time. I suspect once he starts sleeping longer at night we will get rid of the morning nap.

Second--Jackson has to go to sleep by himself in bed at bedtime. As cute as it is, he can't go to sleep while I am reading to Jenna and Benson (who are currently sharing a room...).  I know from past experience that if he wakes up crying he is disoriented and will cry for hours. To begin with I am just going to put him down drowsy but awake. Either I or Rustin will go in every 15 or 20 minutes so he knows we are still here. We will pick him up to calm him down but we will put him back in his crib to go to sleep my himself.

Third--night time.   I haven't ever had a child wake up at night once he went to sleep by himself at bedtime.  We will see how Jack does. I'm hoping he will just sleep.  If not I guess I will be ordering that Ferber book...

No comments: