Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Surgery day--Again.

Silly Benson before the surgery

Benson had his tonsils and adenoids removed yesterday. Because he was one of the youngest, he went early--about 8 o'clock. It only took about 45 minutes total. When he came back he really didn't cry much at all. He wanted me to hold him the whole time and he whined a little because of the numb feeling in his throat but he really was easy to handle. The doctor said his tonsils were huge and gross but his adenoids weren't as bad as they expected.

The surgery center was great. They waited until he was asleep to but in the IV and then they put it in his foot so it wouldn't bug him. They let him wear his superman jammies in the surgery. We were able to wait in his room the whole time and they brought him right back to us. It was really nice.

When we first got home I thought we had totally gotten off easy. He was happy and smiley and wanted to eat ramen noodles. It wasn't until about 2:30 that the numbness wore off and then he was one sad and sore little boy. So I pretty much held him the rest of the day. He would doze off to sleep and accidentally swallow and then cry. Poor kid. We had given him some Motrin earlier in the morning and I finally figured out that it only lasts 6 hours at the most. We'll do better on that in the next few days. Our really great friends brought us dinner which was really nice. We're totally spoiled!

Last night I got up and gave him some medicine at about 5 1/2 hours so he could sleep and so that he could swallow the medicine before the pain relief wore off. He did really well. He wouldn't sleep in my room and I knew Austin wouldn't wake up if he was crying so Landon switched with Austin and slept with Ben. Dallin is going to sleep with him tonight.

He still has his signature horrible thick green runny nose. We have started some antibiotics but he woke up with a raging fever today. His throat doesn't seem to hurt too badly unless the Motrin wears off. We'll keep giving the antibiotics and then see how he's doing with the fever tomorrow. I need to get a new thermometer. And I think I could use some sleep.


Emily said...

no more surgery allowed over there! poor benson! I'm glad the day went okay. He is lucky to have such a good mommy! If you want, I can send you the jamba juice recipes for his little throat!

Vicky said...

I bet at nursing school you had know idea how much you would use your knowledge for own family. I'm sure you are a big blessing to them. By now I would be pretty tired/grumpy. That happens fast for me.
So how I keep track of my spending is rather primitive. I just put a index card in my purse with the amount I start out with (one side is groceries and the other is extra) and every time I make a purchase I subtract it. When I run out, I simply wait until the next month to spend again. Ryan's tried to get me to use an palm for this, but I find that my paper will never run out of batteries.

Kari said...

Oh, Benson is probably pretty well recovered by now but I can totally sympathize with this experience!!! I got to go through it to the max with Ashton and Steve but I know we will be happy about the decision come the "winter." Hope you and Benson are recovering well ;)